Apr 19, 2009

Back to university


after spending almost 2 weeks doing workshops at universities in the region, I have couple of things to say :

- Professors these days ARE different from the ones we used to have !
I remember that we spent our years in the university just trying to prove that a computer will never do a design for you ! ( will not sure about future though)

- Students ARE still the same 
yes, this part will never change I guess, I ve seen the same roles , the extremely excited student, the student that attends the thing just to be there ( in case the professor noticed) , and the student that is not that into this but why not trying ( hmm..that was me in the old days ) !
and another thing that is the same , that actually they all love ArchiCAD because it will give them better presentation and more hours to sleep ( again that was where I was hooked into the ArchiCAD world , more sleeping hours !)

- Its always a pleasure to work with students :
"And how much does it cost?", never hear that question when you go to universities , because simply its FREE for them ! so its all about how good is the software . I like that , feels like utopia , I know I know .. if its that way always  I would never get paid , but I am just saying that it is nice not having the "how much" conversation ,thats all .

-It feels like payback time ! :
I guess that this would be the evil side of me saying that , but when I have a workshop with professors ( sorry professors if you are reading this ) but it feels like payback time ! watching the professors in the students seats, is nice after all !  



3 comments:

  1. Professors these days are not afraid of the computers any more ... but most of them - well, most of the people do! - still believe that you just push a button and out it comes!

    The truth is - computers and software do nothing. We do everything.

    If we know how ...

    ... and that is not taught at Universities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well a funny story, when we were in the university, students used to print the drawings with a very grayed out lines , and then over draw it till they make it looks like its hand drawings . now the funny part is that one day a professor entered a printing shop asking the guy to print a drawing with faded out lines for his daughter , " you know because professors don't allow her to use the computer " said the professor ! and he was one of those, who never allowed students to use computers !

    but the shiny side is last week I told this story to a professor and she told me about that time when she printed her project and thought that that is great to produce a CAD project ... well but she didn't think that getting a "ZERO" was funny ! because her professor would never allow her to use a " computer to design for you ! "

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the "mutation" of the problems that usually happened before the design presentation: for the student a tragedy, for the professors just excuses ….. …..but were real situations, we didn’t lie ever!!,
    two that were very popular are related with the Ink pens and the missing sheets in the presentation:
    From:
    “My elevations doesn’t have shadows because my Rapidograph pen .000 has be clogged last night at 2:00AM…”
    To
    “I have a bug in the software and the plotter didn’t print the hatches..”
    From:
    “I forgot the sections sheet at home (or in the taxi, or wherever)….”
    To
    “I got a virus in the computer ( just when I finish the project) and can’t print, but my project is in this hard drive…”
    The truth is... that is really hard complete a project that suppose to be have a month of development in just one week…As an student was impossible to link the “fun time” that I have with my friends around the University with the results in my design class,
    (This days is hard to link the time that I spent doing this post, or surfing the net, with my perform at work… ups!! Some thing never go to change)

    ReplyDelete